Is Artificial Turf Right For Your Home?
For some homeowners, lawn maintenance and landscaping in the Syracuse area can be a challenge. Not only does it take time to mow the lawn each and every week, but it also requires frequent watering (when it’s not raining) and upkeep in a way that few homeowners are ready and able to manage.
That’s why, across the country, some property owners have considered the idea of replacing their grass with artificial turf – synthetic grass that requires no watering, no mowing, and far less effort. Artificial turf is an interesting choice for those considering a change to their landscape. But is it the right choice for you? The following are some of the benefits and weaknesses of artificial turf.
Benefits of Artificial Turf
- Less Maintenance – Clearly the greatest benefit is the lack of maintenance. Not only can you skip mowing, but you also don’t have to spend money on water during the warmer months.
- Fewer Pests – Pests like grass. They’re not as fond of artificial turf. So if you often have problems with pests, artificial turf represents a better alternative.
- Consistent Look – Artificial turf always looks and feels the same. The landscape you pay for is the landscape you have, regardless of weather or time of year.
Weaknesses of Artificial Turf
- Heat – When the weather is hot, the artificial turf gets hotter. Unlike grass, which stays cool, artificial turf can heat up to more than 100 degrees on hot days and can burn when it comes into contact with skin.
- Bacteria/Metals – Artificial turf is artificial. That means some of the materials used to create it are controversial with environmentalists. It may also retain bacteria and germs more than traditional grass.
Are You Considering Artificial Turf?
As with all landscapes, it’s difficult to say whether or not artificial turf is the right choice for you. Some families find it easier to play on this turf. Others worry about a “fake” look.
The best choice is to discuss it with a landscaping expert. Call Green Earth Lawns today at (315) 952-1887 to talk about your landscape needs and ideas.